Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Little Things

I've noticed that it's the little things that are the hardest to get through after a loss...

I miss him
...when I see things related to a wedding because it reminds me of my wedding and him walking me down the ailse, a moment I will treasure forever
....when I see my son play with "farm" toys because animals were such a huge part of who he was
....seeing my little boy love reading books which would melt my dad's heart, what I would give to have my dad here to read to Noah
...when I see children that went to his school, he was a principal he influenced so many children so when I see those children I feel a connection to them even if they have no idea who I am
...when I hear others talk about their fathers, my heart breaks inside everytime I hear someone talking on the phone with their dad or telling a story about their father
...when children at school tell me about fun things they did with their grandpa, I hate that Noah will never remember the things he did with his
...when we eat things that I know he loved
...when I scroll through my phone and see him name in my address book, I don't have the strength to delete it
...when I see his truck in the yard, it's difficult to imagine that I'll never pass him on the road again or go for a ride with him
...when I see a yard sale sign, garage sales were something we did together and I want to do again but it will never be the same without him
...when I drive by any of his favorite "spots" in town
...when I pass by the hospital, most of the time I can't bear to look on that side of the road
...when I pass an ambulance, I always stop and pray for the hurt individual and their family
...most of all, when I look into my son's eyes, I realize how strong love is and I am comforted knowing that I now know how much I was loved by him

There are countless others.  But, I know that it's best to face the pain so that I can continue on my path of healing, but that doesn't make it easy. 

a time to be born...a time to heal...a time to build...a time to mourn...a time to mend...

Ecclesiastes 8:2-4, 7
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Alison, this post made me teary. I know you miss him like crazy. If you ever need to talk, please call me. I am by no means a pro at handling grief, but I completely understand what you are going through. I'm here!

    ReplyDelete