Monday, September 20, 2010

One Year

One year ago today, my dad went to Heaven.  We've lived a full year without him. It's unbelievable to me.

How did we make it?

We made it with Jesus.  He is with us when we cry tears of sadness, he feels the pain in our hearts, and he has been the key to our healing.  He also gives us faith that my dad is in Heaven.  I firmly believe that there is so much we don't understand and that only God does.  He promises that one day we will see and understand his plan as he does. 

We have made it with the strength and love of our family.  We have held together.  We have been there for each other and stayed strong as a family.  My mom is by far the strongest person I've ever known and I am so proud of her strength.  Chris has been my rock this year.  Noah has been the sunshine in our family and the reason to get through each day.  Andrew and Jenna have given us the excitement of their upcoming marriage. My in-laws and sister-in-law have been the best family I could ever ask for and are always there for us.

We have made it with love from our friends.  I will never forget the friends who were with us in the hospital, those who came straight to our house, those who attended the services, those who sent cards and flowers, those who shared  memories of him with us, those who continue to talk about him today and to those who have suffered losses of their own who share in our grief.  We are beyond blessed to be surrounded by people who love us and who take the time to be there for us.

We are so thankful for the years were were given with my dad.  We were blessed to have him here with us and he will live on forever through our hearts.  He left quite a legacy here on Earth and he made an impression on everyone he met.  I know that he watches down on us.  What a wonderful day it will be when we are reunited with him. 

Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him...

1 Peter 1:8

1 comment:

  1. The Rogers are thinking of you all! What a beautiful post and I just love every single one of those photographs! How special! You can certainly tell how proud he is of all of you in each picture.

    And I know he is proud of you all for making it through this rough year with such faith!

    I love this prayer and I hope you do too!

    Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there,
    I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight
    On the ripened grain.
    I am the gentle Autumn's rain.
    When you awaken in the morning hush,
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry.
    I am not there.
    I did not die.
    My Spirit is still alive…

    And we both know his spirit is everywhere, Alison!

    Thinking of you today and always! Please let us know if you need anything. Sully is available to perform his new tricks at any time.

    ReplyDelete