Sunday, August 22, 2010

Winks

I talked to a friend this week who told me that she believes we get "winks" from God or from loved ones we've lost.  She told me she got a "wink" from my dad this week, but she wanted to share the story with me in person.  I'm anxious to hear her story.  But in the meantime, it made me wonder if something I heard this week was a "wink" to me.

As you know, I am at a new school this year.  One day this week, our secretary shared with  me a conversation she had with a student.  A student named Isaiah was transferring to our school from Summerville Elementary (my dad's school).  She said Isaiah  told her that that he was ok with moving to a new school because his favorite principal was no longer at SES.  He told her that he was so upset that Dr. Sires had passed away and that how he cried and cried when he heard the news.  He also talked about how proud he was to have written a poem in memory of my dad that she shared at the Garden Dedication.  The secretary told him that she thought she may have a way to make him feel better and she told him that Dr. Sires' daughter worked here at his new school.  So, this week I made it a point to go meet Isaiah and introduce myself.  I'm glad to now have a friend at school who I know loved my dad just like me.  It makes me happy to know that my dad does live on through each child's heart that he touched.  Have you ever gotten a "wink"? 

I took some of these pictures off of Summerville Elementary's website.  They include my dad dressing up as Johnny Appleseed, reading to students, dressing up for Book Character Day with his llama, and being drowned in jello after the children read so many books.

No comments:

Post a Comment